Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Responses to posts are being removed
Responses to posts are being removed [message #630623] Wed, 31 December 2014 12:59 Go to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
My responses to posts continue to be removed by someone and I demand to know who and why they are being
deleted!
It is not only on-going rudeness and lack of professionalism to remove posts that conform to the rules of the forum without any explanation.
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630624 is a reply to message #630623] Wed, 31 December 2014 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Are you sure that your posts:
* do not violate a rule
* do not give a solution to a homework, especially when a moderator said "we don't do homework"
* do not give basic solutions, especially when others already gave hints and/or links to the documentation
* are not out of scope (many of your posts are)
* answer something that is not the problem (many of your posts do)

[Edit: add missing word, sorry my dyslexia leads to such mistake and prevent me from seeing it when I reread my post]

[Updated on: Thu, 01 January 2015 01:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630625 is a reply to message #630624] Wed, 31 December 2014 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As regular forum members probably already know, I'm against locking topics as well as deleting messages. In my opinion, such an action isn't productive. Of course, I'm not talking about duplicate messages and obvious spam (I delete at least dozen of them on daily basis).

If I remember well, there's an ongoing "game" between the two of you (LKBrwn_DBA & Michel) regarding smilies LKBrwn_DBA posts in every message, and Michele deletes it. Also, you know each other from another forum (can't remember which one exactly), don't you?

Now, I have no idea what dispute you might have, but deleting someone's messages (because you have a power to do so) maybe isn't the right way to sort it out.

As of the list of reasons posted above, the first one is meaningless ("do not a rule"?).

The next two are known to frequent posters and rare members who took the effort of reading the Detailed OraFAQ Forum Guide. However, these are not obligatory. It is usual to provide hints, but you can't forbid someone to assist in any way he finds appropriate, including doing someone's homework. You (Michel) won't do that. I probably won't do that (unless I'm bored). LKBrwn_DBA chose to do it - so what? We don't have to agree with it, but that's legitimate way of forum communication. Certain problem and its solution might be simple for me, but difficult for someone else, i.e. the person who asks such a question. Also, an Oracle newbie might join this forum and give his best to answer that question. That looks like spoonfeeding to some of us, as well as state-of-art to some other of us.

Therefore, I don't agree with deleting any kind of valid answers to any kind of valid questions.

The fourth and the fifth reason describe wildposts. I'd probably delete them too. I can't judge, didn't see any (maybe because they were already deleted). Though, wildposts are - generally speaking - posted by spammers and similar creatures ("Thank you for sharing!"), not experienced Oracle users. I have just reviewed his (LKBrwn_DBA's) recent posts on dBforums (another Forum I visit) - don't look like wildposts to me, so - why would he do it here and not there?

Can't comment "..." reasons either (can't read mind, yet).

Basically, I'd rather see you two having a beer (or whatever you drink), settle things out and cohabitate while spending your time here, on OraFAQ Forum.
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630626 is a reply to message #630623] Wed, 31 December 2014 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
When any moderator deletes a post, there is an optional section for providing a reason why and notifying the person who posted the message. I recommend using this for all deletions. Also, I have provided a place for deleted posts to be temporarily moved to, so that if there is a question, all moderators can review it. So far, no moderator is using that, even the one who asked for it. Hopefully, whoever deleted your posts will come forward and explain why. If not, I don't know if the forum administrator or account moderators have the ability to determine who deleted something. There does seem to be a pattern of sporadic excessive use of moderator privileges for petty reasons involving certain individuals.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 December 2014 21:45]

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630629 is a reply to message #630625] Thu, 01 January 2015 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
As of the list of reasons posted above, the first one is meaningless ("do not a rule"?).

"Violate" work was missing.

Add: I did not say I deleted these posts, I just enumerated the reasons I saw why they have been deleted; and "..." means there can be other reasons and anyone can add them.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 January 2015 01:11]

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630631 is a reply to message #630625] Thu, 01 January 2015 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
The next two are known to frequent posters and rare members who took the effort of reading the Detailed OraFAQ Forum Guide

So is the case for all who posted when the "detailed guide" was the actual guide.

Quote:
It is usual to provide hints, but you can't forbid someone to assist in any way he finds appropriate, including doing someone's homework. [...] That looks like spoonfeeding to some of us, as well as state-of-art to some other of us.

So what is the purpose for us to spend such a lot of time to try to make people learn by themselves when we know that someone will not read what we posted, not try to understand what we are trying to do and post a solution (and get the reward) we could do it in a few seconds instead of working hours to lead OP to understand his problem?

(I knew if I ever answer to this topic this will come to a quite rant against me, guilty or not, but I took the risk to do it when I saw there was no answer after 3 hours. Note that if I was/felt really guilty I could just delete this topic I saw a minute after it has been posted. Wink )

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630638 is a reply to message #630631] Thu, 01 January 2015 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Nah, of course you are guilty! /forum/fa/1604/0/ (Even if you aren't, you are! /forum/fa/5767/0/)

As of "what is the purpose ...": exactly, some of us prefer that way. I believe this is a better way. However, you can't judge, blame or direct other people what to do if they choose to act differently. You know, freedom of speech.

Barbara, it is amazing how you manage to say that much using such a few words. Fascinating!

So, if I didn't delete those messages, Michel didn't do that, Barbara either - who did?

P.S. Oh, yes - happy new MMXV year, everyone!

[Updated on: Thu, 01 January 2015 09:40]

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630642 is a reply to message #630638] Thu, 01 January 2015 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Yes, happy new
          7DF
           ff
Freedom of radix. /forum/fa/7176/0/

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630648 is a reply to message #630626] Thu, 01 January 2015 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 09:14
So far, no moderator is using that, even the one who asked for it.

I believe I was the one who asked for it, (un)fortunately till now I didn't find a reason to delete any post(except regular spams). Hence, couldn't use it, but it would be helpful if required.

Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 21:09

So, if I didn't delete those messages, Michel didn't do that, Barbara either - who did?

Neither did I (I am back from a long vacation Smile )

P.S. Happy new year 2015!
icon10.gif  Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630678 is a reply to message #630623] Fri, 02 January 2015 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
I admit I have been chastised here before by (guess who) for two things:

1) For the inability to correctly use smilies ( I am not aware of any standard or code of conduct
about how to properly use smilies)

2) For posting alternate solutions to the questions (With the purpose of providing a different point
of view to the OP).

If there is anything I need to change, let me know.
If I've done wrong you can remove my account.

Thank you all for looking into this matter.
Cheers,
MikeOM>
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630679 is a reply to message #630678] Fri, 02 January 2015 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Not completely true.
You have been chastised for all the reasons I mentioned above, never, as far as I remember, to provide an alternate solution (if I am wrong please post a link and I will sincerely apologize if it was from me).

About the smileys, they have meanings, and strong ones, and so they must be used appropriately.
You mostly use the "nag" smiley Razz
Unless you are closed with someone or you friendly discussed and showed him/her his/her error, nagging a poster is rude.
The second smiley you use is the "shocked" one Shocked
Once again if there is nothing shocking in his/her post what is the purpose?
Smileys are more than words, they are emoticons that is something that convey emotion. They are stronger than words in this way and they have been created for that.
As I told you, if you don't know how and when to use them then avoid to use them, you may hurt people.

In short, why I chastised (I learned a new word today) you is for the disregard for others your posts convey, either for OP with the emoticons or other posters when they spent hours to lead OP to a solution and you come and directly post one, and yes you are free to do it, as Littlefoot said, but this shows contempt against these others, at least this is how I feel it.

Just my opinion, as always.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 January 2015 13:54]

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630680 is a reply to message #630679] Fri, 02 January 2015 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
Perhaps you are just over zealous.
In My last post (which was deleted) I was pointing out to the OP that the error he/she was getting was due to an out of bounds array index and also he/she was using an incorrect algorithm.
Why did you remove it?...

PS; If someone gets offended by an "emoticon" Perhaps they need psychiatric help.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 January 2015 14:57]

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630683 is a reply to message #630638] Fri, 02 January 2015 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manubatham20

I am not agree with you LKBrwn_DBA, emoticons say more than the words do.

As below post made me laugh loud. Laughing And it's because of those naughty Littlefoot emoticons.

Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 01 January 2015 09:39
Nah, of course you are guilty! /forum/fa/1604/0/ (Even if you aren't, you are! /forum/fa/5767/0/)

Manu
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630694 is a reply to message #630680] Sat, 03 January 2015 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
PS; If someone gets offended by an "emoticon" Perhaps they need psychiatric help.

This is what I said, you don't know the meaning of emoticons, so don't use them.

From Wikipedia emoticon:

Quote:
Others include [...] tongue out Razz for disgust or simply just to stick the tongue out for silliness, such as when blowing a raspberry.

Is this not offending?

Edit: and, for instance, I could correctly use it to reply to your post there but I didn't as I think however correct it is too harsh and only use it when I have no doubt someone will not feel offended. Razz Smile (Note the smiling emoticon meaning I use the nag emoticon with no bad intentions.)

[Updated on: Sat, 03 January 2015 01:07]

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630767 is a reply to message #630694] Mon, 05 January 2015 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
I have moderated on other sites and it is not always an easy job to do. I don't agree with editing other people's posts - except perhaps to format some code when the OP has neglected to do so. Deleting other posts is also something that I don't agree with unless they contravene forum rules, for example. Even then a degree of flexibility should be exercised. Naturally spam is exempt and should be deleted. Whenever a moderator alters or deletes someone's post this should always be followed up by a PM to the relevant user to explain why. In some instances the explanation could even be placed in the relevant thread for others to learn too.

In my experience the greatest attribute a moderator should display is consistency. This is what causes users to respect a moderator. For example, I have seen "homework" type posts replied to with a complete solution by some regular forum users (including moderators) who should know better. Sometimes it appears that people are grandstanding their skills rather than help the OP to form their own solution while learning simultaneously.

Anyway, happy 2015 everyone Smile
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630768 is a reply to message #630767] Mon, 05 January 2015 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Wasn't me!

And happy new year Smile
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630769 is a reply to message #630768] Mon, 05 January 2015 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Certainly not in the example that I was thinking of! Interestingly, it was almost this time last year Smile
Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630775 is a reply to message #630769] Mon, 05 January 2015 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Regular expressions are one exception we admit to "homework" or "basic" question are they are somewhat difficult to master but you are right in this specific case a hint to use regular expression should be first given then followed by a link then a solution if OP answered he does not know regular expression and cannot do it, and your remark was appropriate.

Re: Responses to posts are being removed [message #630781 is a reply to message #630769] Mon, 05 January 2015 06:30 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
gazzag wrote on Mon, 05 January 2015 16:50
Certainly not in the example that I was thinking of!

Looking at the link now, almost after an year, I agree I could have first asked OP to show what he tried. OP got his solution and disappeared without any feedback. I learnt a lesson! However, giving a link to read about REGEXP is not always helpful.

Anyway, the current topic is about LKBrwn_DBA's posts deletion, we are diverting to a different discussion.
Previous Topic: How delete owned topic
Next Topic: List of topics with top views in each sub-forum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 01:25:26 CDT 2024