Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines?
Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618428] Fri, 11 July 2014 11:35 Go to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Hi Frank/moderators,

In most of the topics, we post the posting guidines link(of course expectation is that posters would follow), and then some/few posters do abide by the rules. Interesting point is, we have not mentioned in the posting guidelines that posters must at least feedback to the folks who have spend their time in resolving the issues.

In most of the forums, I see a bulleted point or a marquee about giving feedback or marking the topic as answered.

It's just my thought, could it be considered as another point in our posting guidelines link.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618431 is a reply to message #618428] Fri, 11 July 2014 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Lalit Kumar B wrote on Fri, 11 July 2014 18:35

... we have not mentioned in the posting guidelines that posters must at least feedback ...

"Must" is a strong word. What if they don't do that (which is more or less default)? I agree, that would be polite and kind of expected in a civilized society.

On the other hand, #16 would be, I presume, that everyone who participated that discussion must reply back saying "you are welcome".

At the end, you'd have
1 question
5 replies
1 thank you
5 you're welcome

Nice, but - I don't think so.
Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618434 is a reply to message #618431] Fri, 11 July 2014 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Hello LF,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hmm, I didn't realize I used the word "must", instead of "could", since "at least" followed it and it came out in flow, somehow my mind couldn't coordinate with my hand while typing and thinking simultaneously Smile

I still think that feedback is important, may be not always because a perfect solution is immediately provided and there are no pipelined discussions. But what if otherwise?

Regarding your point 16th, I believe most of us, especially the moderators(who are regular visitors) do reply saying "Thanks for the feedback". Also, I have seen folks demanding for a feedback to close the topic by all means, isn't it?

I hope I wasn't assertive with my voice, it was just my personal suggestion Smile

Edit : Added three more lines to my reply.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2014 12:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618437 is a reply to message #618434] Fri, 11 July 2014 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, we all share our personal thoughts here, don't we? Don't get me wrong: I'm more than happy when someone replies and thanks people who spent time & effort to assist, but that's more matter of upbringing that forum rules.
Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618439 is a reply to message #618437] Fri, 11 July 2014 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Thanks for saying that its your personal thought, lest I should be worried if it was an account moderator's voice to rule out what I suggested Smile

And yes, I completely agree with you that actions are more important than the rules behind driving them. Rules just remain as unseen points unless someone follow them, and then we are really happy to see someone really following them.

Thanks again for your reply.
Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618885 is a reply to message #618439] Wed, 16 July 2014 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
I see the point of feedback not primarily in polite "thanks", but in "how it was resolved".

Nothing is more frustrating than finding someone on the internet who describes the exact same problem you are having, with dozens of proposed solutions, and only a "Many thanks, the problem is fixed now" in the end. Wink
Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #618893 is a reply to message #618885] Wed, 16 July 2014 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Both are not exclusive. Wink

Re: Consider "FEEDBACK" as 15th point in posting guidelines? [message #619363 is a reply to message #618893] Mon, 21 July 2014 23:52 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Well, in case of multiple solutions provided by multiple people, it would remain unclear with just "thanks" in the end, unless OP also mentions which solution he opted finally and why. This I think is a proper feedback.
Previous Topic: Performance tuning sticky - small correction in note
Next Topic: PL/SQL Developer settings FAQ in CLient tools forum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 00:26:50 CDT 2024