Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » not receiving email notifications when posts replied to
not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617076] Tue, 24 June 2014 13:53 Go to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Yesterday and today I have not been receiving email notifications when my posts have been replied to.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617077 is a reply to message #617076] Tue, 24 June 2014 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I received these mails.
Check with your email provider if he has not added some filtering.
I know mine has a very aggressive policy (which changes from time to time) against spammers so that I do not receive mail with some keywords in the subject or from some domains or locations.

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617080 is a reply to message #617077] Tue, 24 June 2014 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I use Outlook (formerly Hotmail). I haven't changed any settings either on OraFAQ or Outlook, but I double-checked them all to make sure they hadn't been changed somehow. My OraFAQ settings are set to receive email notifications. I have the standard junk mail filter in Outlook that puts all junk mail in the junk folder and deletes it 10 days later. There are no OraFAQ messages in the junk folder and OraFAQ is not on my list of blocked sites. I am continuing to receive automated email notifications of replies to my posts on the OTN forums and emails from others, but not from OraFAQ. I did not get a response to this email. I suspect that the problem is on OraFAQ's end. As a test, I will reply to this using my other account, KittyCat, which is associated with my Yahoo email, then reply to this again and see if I get a Yahoo notification.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617081 is a reply to message #617080] Tue, 24 June 2014 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KittyCat
This is a test post to see if when I reply to it I get a Yahoo email notification or not.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617082 is a reply to message #617081] Tue, 24 June 2014 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KittyCat
Well, this is weird. I logged out as Barbara Boehmer, logged in as KittyCat, posted a reply, then tried to logged out as KittyCat, so that I can log in as Barbara Boehmer again, but I can't logged out. When I click on Logout, it doesn't do anything. Now what do I do?
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617084 is a reply to message #617082] Tue, 24 June 2014 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Unable to logout was discussed some time ago ... have a look.

I didn't notice anything strange regarding e-mail notifications.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617087 is a reply to message #617084] Tue, 24 June 2014 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. I dropped my orafaq.com cookie, then opened a new window, but still could not log KittyCat out. So, I tried to delete my browser history for the last hour, but Firefox stopped responding and Windows shut it down. So, I tried to re-start Firefox, but my laptop computer over-heated and shut itself down. So, I let it cool while I ate lunch. When I re-started my laptop, then re-started Firefox, it gave me an option to restore the previous session or close it, so I closed it. I opened up a new window, then logged in as Barbara Boehmer again. So, that problem is temporarily solved, but there has to be a better long-term solution for a simple way to log out. Fortunately, this is a home computer, so I am not stuck logged in on some public computer.

Back to the original problem. In the meanwhile, as a result of Littlefoot replying to KittyCat, I did get an email notification to my Yahoo email, but still no Outlook emails. So, apparently the problem is with Outlook. Does anybody have a clue what else I should check with Outlook or how to contact somebody there?
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617089 is a reply to message #617087] Tue, 24 June 2014 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Email I use on OraFAQ is web-based so - I don't use any email client. Can you acess your mailbox through a browser, i.e. avoid Outlook? Doing so, you'd know whether you actually got the mail, but Outlook refuses to show it.

One more thing: is your mailbox, by any chance, full? If so, clean it up.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617092 is a reply to message #617089] Tue, 24 June 2014 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Quote:
...Can you acess your mailbox through a browser, i.e. avoid Outlook?...

Not that I know of.
Quote:
...One more thing: is your mailbox, by any chance, full?...

No.

I suppose I could change my email preference for OraFAQ to Yahoo instead of Outlook, but I would rather not do that. Also, if I did, then I would have to change the one for KittyCat first and I don't want to start that mess again. I have found that some things eventually fix themselves, so I may just leave it be for a while. There must be other people using Outlook having similar problems and complaining, so maybe somebody is already aware of it and working on it.

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617133 is a reply to message #617092] Wed, 25 June 2014 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Hey, even I haven't received any email since last night, i.e. 1:27 AM Indian Standard Time. I use gmail for receiving emails, I never had such issue before. I am also subscribed to most of the forums, unfortunately no email alerts, why? /forum/fa/7257/0/
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617136 is a reply to message #617133] Wed, 25 June 2014 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Surprisingly, I just tried to send a test email from my Profile page using "send user an email", and it worked!!! But I am not receiving any emails for the subsribed forums and topics.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617148 is a reply to message #617136] Wed, 25 June 2014 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
I got the issue. Since yesterday OraFAQ emails have been moving into SPAM folder. I wonder why? And still it is going into spam. What must have happened all of a sudden?
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617156 is a reply to message #617148] Wed, 25 June 2014 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
@Barbara,

Did you check your spam folder? Might be similar issue as mine. Or if you have ny rules defined for otherwise.

Regarding logout issue, I don't have any such problems. For me its the other way round. I usually stay logged in for entire day. I have a software installed which cleans all browser history end of day. I have scheduled it. I just have to login again.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617169 is a reply to message #617156] Wed, 25 June 2014 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
In Outlook/Hotmail it's called the junk folder, instead of spam. As previously stated, I have checked that and all settings. I have not made any changes to Outlook/Hotmail or OraFAQ, so it is something that either Outlook/Hotmail is doing different or OraFAQ is doing different that is causing the automated emails to be blocked in such a way that they aren't even going to the junk folder. I did a brief internet search to see if others might be having a similar problem, but didn't find anything useful. I am just leaving it be for now. Although I prefer email notifications, I can still check my Control Panel to find which of my posts have been responded to and which sub-forums that I subscribe to have new posts and such. Typically, with such things, I put it way down on my list of things to do and before I get to it, it has fixed itself. Hopefully, that will happen in this case.

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617171 is a reply to message #617169] Wed, 25 June 2014 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I just tried adding a new contact to my email, with first name Ora, last name FAQ and email noreply@orafaq.net. Somebody please reply to this email so that I can see if that solved the problem.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617172 is a reply to message #617171] Wed, 25 June 2014 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
email test
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617175 is a reply to message #617172] Wed, 25 June 2014 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I didn't get an email. According to the internet, other people have had problems with the Microsoft Smartscreen filter that does this, by I have not found a solution yet. Solutions are more intended for senders than receivers. It basically says that if a company, like OraFAQ is sending emails that aren't being received, then that sending company needs to contact them to have the ban lifted. It sounds like the individual users who are not receiving the emails are powerless. I have to wonder what other emails I have not received and if the senders at least get a failure notice, so they know I didn't get it.

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617176 is a reply to message #617175] Wed, 25 June 2014 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
That's stupid. Imagine me sending a letter to you. Your (USA/California) post office sees my envelope, checks who sent it and decides not to deliver it to you, without even leaving a notice in your mailbox (hey, Barbara, some guy sent a letter; we think it is junk, but you can pick it up in our office). What/who gives that rights to Microsoft?
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617177 is a reply to message #617176] Wed, 25 June 2014 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>What/who gives that rights to Microsoft?
Their server so their rules (spam filtering)
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617178 is a reply to message #617176] Wed, 25 June 2014 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

This is my case, as I mentioned in my first answer, I have a friend in Czechia and he can't use my default email address to mail me as his is filtered by my mail provider without any warning.

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617182 is a reply to message #617178] Wed, 25 June 2014 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Once again: that's stupid.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617183 is a reply to message #617182] Wed, 25 June 2014 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
So in my case, as I am still receiving OraFAQ emails in spam folder since last night, it means gmail has suddenly started considering OraFAQ emails as spam? Without intimating me at all(and I didn't touch any settings either). Perhaps, I need to do something about it, gmail(Google) isn't answerable(or even feel responsible for it, huh).
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617213 is a reply to message #617183] Thu, 26 June 2014 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
@Barbara - if you've got a hotmail account then I believe www.hotmail.com should let you into your inbox via a web browser (can't test it without setting up an account, but the login page looks right for the job).
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617270 is a reply to message #617213] Thu, 26 June 2014 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Right! That's what I was talking about.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617285 is a reply to message #617270] Thu, 26 June 2014 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
If I go to www.hotmail.com it automatically redirects to my usual email page that says outlook.com near the upper left corner.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617288 is a reply to message #617285] Thu, 26 June 2014 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
This is what it looks like for me:

/forum/fa/11987/0/

Cookiemonster & me expect that you should be able to enter your credentials here and check your mails through the browser (instead of MS Outlook). But, it seems that you are redirected to some other page. Right?
  • Attachment: hotmail.png
    (Size: 235.73KB, Downloaded 4322 times)
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617291 is a reply to message #617288] Thu, 26 June 2014 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Yes, that is how I normally access my email. I use Firefox browser, but I could also use Internet Explorer browser. I usually go to an old saved bookmark using msn.com, then go to the login page from there. Whether I do that or type in www.hotmail.com, I end up on the same login page. Microsoft converted all Hotmail accounts to Outlook accounts, so as you can see the login page says Outlook on it. I have been accessing it through a browser all along, but this does not circumvent Outlook as you suggested. Hotmail and Outlook are now one and the same. There is no way to access my Outlook (formerly Hotmail) email without Outlook. I do seem to recall that, once upon a time, where I used to work, we used to access Outlook directly, without using a browser, but that is not what I have been doing. All of the settings and filters and such that I have been referring to or what apply when accessing my email using a browser. I don't have it set up to do the opposite and access Outlook without a browser.

Additional clarification:
Before I log in, it looks like what you posted, with Outlook in the middle of the page. After I log in, I see Outlook.com near the upper left corner.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2014 16:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617292 is a reply to message #617291] Thu, 26 June 2014 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ouch! Misunderstanding! When you said "Outlook", I thought that it is an e-mail client, part of Microsoft Office programs (along with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point).

No more smart (ha-ha!) ideas today, I'm afraid.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617294 is a reply to message #617292] Thu, 26 June 2014 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Here is a snippet after login, showing my junk mail folder, after I have emptied it.

/forum/fa/11988/0/

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617295 is a reply to message #617294] Thu, 26 June 2014 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What does "11" (written beside Junk folder name) mean? 11 e-mails that are in your Junk folder? Or it just didn't refresh after you deleted these messages?

What happens if you check the "View: All" checkbox?
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617296 is a reply to message #617295] Thu, 26 June 2014 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
11 was the number of junk mails that I just deleted. When I clicked on junk again, the number 11 disappeared.
When the junk folder is empty, if I try to check the check box next to view all, it does nothing.
If I click on the words view all, then I got the drop down menu shown below.
If I click on any of the selections, in the drop down menu. then it says that there aren't any or I have already read them all.

/forum/fa/11989/0/

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617303 is a reply to message #617292] Fri, 27 June 2014 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 26 June 2014 22:09
Ouch! Misunderstanding! When you said "Outlook", I thought that it is an e-mail client, part of Microsoft Office programs (along with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point).

That makes two of us. I use outlook the program, but not the website as I don't have an account.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617308 is a reply to message #617303] Fri, 27 June 2014 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
In most of IT offices, Outlook is the MS Office program. Never saw the browser one.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617374 is a reply to message #617308] Fri, 27 June 2014 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I have been going through the outlook.com help and finally found an appropriate section.
I checked everything that was suggested to check and still couldn't find the problem.
I tried the online chat support, but couldn't get through. I just got a message that it was too busy and to try later.
So, after searching their forum, I posted my problem there.
I found a similar thread, with somebody not receiving forum messages from only one forum, that had changed email services.
After two months that thread was never resolved.

I will update this thread if I ever got a response that solves the problem or at least figures out what the problem is.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 June 2014 16:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617472 is a reply to message #617374] Mon, 30 June 2014 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
My OraFAQ notifications have been filtered as spam for the last few days.
I use a corporate Gmail account, I think Google must have changed something.
I've added noreply@orafaq.net to my address book, that is supposed to fix it.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617478 is a reply to message #617472] Mon, 30 June 2014 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
John Watson wrote on Mon, 30 June 2014 17:55
I've added noreply@orafaq.net to my address book, that is supposed to fix it.

I just marked one of the OraFAQ emails in spam as "not spam" and issue got fixed.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617494 is a reply to message #617478] Mon, 30 June 2014 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I just received a PM from a moderator on the Microsoft forum,
instructing me to add a rule to forward any emails from noreply@orafaq.net to my inbox,
then let them know if the problem persists.
I just added that rule, even though it shouldn't be necessary, but I will settle for any workaround that works.

So, will somebody please reply to this thread, so that I can see if that fixed it or not, please.

Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617495 is a reply to message #617494] Mon, 30 June 2014 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Test_email_OraFAQ
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617496 is a reply to message #617495] Mon, 30 June 2014 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Thanks for the test. Unfortunately, I still didn't get an email.
I posted a reply to the Microsoft forum moderator letting them know.
I am waiting to see what they suggest next.
Re: not receiving email notifications when posts replied to [message #617502 is a reply to message #617496] Mon, 30 June 2014 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
Even though I am still not receiving email notifications from OraFAQ in my Outlook/Hotmail email,
since I posted as KittyCat on this thread, I am still receiving emails in my Yahoo email.
However, some of the OraFAQ emails landed in the Yahoo inbox and some in the Yahoo spam folder.
So, I marked the most recent OraFAQ email in the Yahoo spam folder as not junk, then moved them
all to my Yahoo inbox.

I suspect that what is going on is that whenever anybody on any system marks an email from a
website, as spam or junk, whether it is or not, then it affects how email from that website is
treated for everybody. Different email systems handle this differently. Some apparently just
put them in the spam or junk folder and others apparently block delivery altogether. The latter
is a major problem. There may also been some key words that are affecting such filtering, and
those words may change from time to time.

Previous Topic: Forum upgrade fails
Next Topic: Missing post describing [code] tags
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:58:52 CDT 2024