Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » restore and recover database (Oracel 11.1 Red Hat 4.1.2-41)
restore and recover database [message #480138] Thu, 21 October 2010 07:14 Go to next message
nehaverma
Hi

I create a test database which is duplicate of my production server and after every 15 or 20 days I need to synchronize test db with production db.So I clone it and it takes about a day.I have to remove all datafiles from test and move from production to there on test server and I applied restore and recover.So it is very time consuming process.
I want to know is there any process which makes my work less like I just need to apply all rest of the logs which are new after synchronize last time from production server that need restore and recover.
Please help.
Re: restore and recover database [message #480139 is a reply to message #480138] Thu, 21 October 2010 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Depending on Volume of database , it could be time consuming process. But everything you said, can be automated.
I do the same, by just running a script.
So are you looking to reduce the time or manual work?
Did you already consider DataGuard?

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2010 07:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restore and recover database [message #480140 is a reply to message #480139] Thu, 21 October 2010 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nehaverma
No, I did not consider datagaurd but want to reduce my time consuming work.
Please tell me how could I restore and recover database from last SCN which i applied last time on my test server.Or is this can be done by applying archive logs of last 15 days?
Re: restore and recover database [message #480145 is a reply to message #480140] Thu, 21 October 2010 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Additional archive logs won't work once you have started (and possibly even changed data in) the test database.

Other than that:

Every step you do by hand now can be scripted so that you just have to start the script. (or start it via crontab overnight)

That's how we create our development database: restore the backup from the live database to the development server and apply the logs that are in the backup.

(Which has the added benefit that we do a restore from your backup regularly. In the last 10 years or so we ran into restore problems a couple of times that would have prevented a restore to live in the event of a "real" disaster case.)

Re: restore and recover database [message #480149 is a reply to message #480138] Thu, 21 October 2010 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
I wonder why incremental backups cannot be used to synchronize duplicate database unlike standby databases
Re: restore and recover database [message #480286 is a reply to message #480149] Fri, 22 October 2010 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkchital
The Test Database that you have cloned from Production has to have been OPENed RESETLOGS. Thereafter, transactions have occurred against it. It has *diverged* from the Production database.
You cannot apply archivelogs from Production.
You have to take a fresh backup of Production.

If you want to avoid taking a fresh backup from Production, you must create a Flashback image (or any consistent backup) of the Test database *before* you OPEN it. That Flashback (consistent backup) image is consistent with the Production because no changes have occurred against it. Therefore, at the next week, you can "Flashback" your Test or restore from that consistent backup to Test. You will still need to apply Archivelogs from Production over the past week.
The effort and time to get the 1 weeks of ArchiveLogs and reapply them to Test might, depending on the volume and complexity involved, might outweigh the cost of taking another Production backup.
(for example, the Production database might be 100GB in size but 1 week's archivelogs may well be 1TB or more !)

Hemant K Chitale
Re: restore and recover database [message #480504 is a reply to message #480286] Mon, 25 October 2010 06:16 Go to previous message
nehaverma
Hi hkchital
Yes I open my database with resetlogs after clone database every time. And I applied this same way for cloning as u said but it creates so many logs so I have to apply every archive log on test.
Therefore I am asking some way to reduce my efforts and time but as you said that after opening with resetlog I do not have any choice.
So I am looking for the way how could incremental backup help me for cloning.
Previous Topic: 10g vs 11g
Next Topic: Auditing lob column changes when working with dbms_lob
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 04:49:20 CDT 2024