Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Managing archive log size (oracle 10g, hp-ux)
Managing archive log size [message #423973] Tue, 29 September 2009 13:16 Go to next message
ladiesman
Configuration: hp-ux OS, oracle 10g, SAP 6.4,
size of archive log files is too high: 18GB for a day. Logs are created 2 times in a day in interval of 12 hrs, I need to decrease the maximum size for archive log files, how do I do?
Re: Managing archive log size [message #423974 is a reply to message #423973] Tue, 29 September 2009 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>size of archive log files is too high: 18GB for a day.
>Logs are created 2 times in a day in interval of 12 hrs,
>I need to decrease the maximum size for archive log files, how do I do?

Amount of redo is directly related to number & "size" of DML against DB.

You can have 2 9GB file or 36 500MB files.
The total amount won't change with smaller redo files.
Re: Managing archive log size [message #424183 is a reply to message #423973] Wed, 30 September 2009 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ladiesman
so how do I analyze the reason behind such a disaster...we are planning to copy log files on DR (Disaster Recovery) site, but 18GB in a day is too much to transfer through lease line. I'm basically SAP consultant but I need to get with this issue.....
In what way I can reduce redo log size, we have 200 SAP users.
is this related to bad SQL programming or something to analyze in database.......any tool which can be useful for this problem.

We are using HP Data Protector to schedule database backup.
Re: Managing archive log size [message #424188 is a reply to message #424183] Wed, 30 September 2009 08:43 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Amount of redo is directly related to number & "size" of DML against DB.

Search what are the DML and analyze if they are all necessary.
For instance, do not update all fields if you need to update one field, do not execute N update to update N fields of the same row, do not delete/insert instead of update, do not insert/modify a row if you will delete it soon...
In short, do less work.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Cannot reclaim space after running "alter Shrink table ... shrink space"
Next Topic: Oracle 8.0 on VM? can or should it be done
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 10:09:24 CDT 2024