Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Unable to create database (Oracle 12c R1 12.1.0.1.0, Windows 2012 )
Unable to create database [message #593883] Wed, 21 August 2013 10:44 Go to next message
sridharsr
I am installing Oracle 12c R1 on Windows 2012. The windows is configured as a domain controller. I am logged in as the domain administrator.
I created a normal domain user -- DomainName\ORACUSER. I provided this as the existing user id during Oracle installation.
The software installs fine, but when creating the DB using the database configuration assistant, an error is shown
"error in process:...\bin\oradim.exe. Enter password for Oracle service user: DIM-00019: create service error. O/S-Error: (OS 87) The parameter is incorrect". The DB is not created.
I skipped the db creation and completed the installation. When tried to create the db using the database configuration assistant after installation, I received the same error.
I performed the same installation on Windows 8 and was successful in creating the db.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Unable to create database [message #593884 is a reply to message #593883] Wed, 21 August 2013 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I has the same problem once, DBCA doesn't always get it right. You need to create the Windows service manually, just run oradim from an OS prompt.
Probably best to let DBCA generate the scripts, check them over, and then run them one by one.
--
John Watson
Oracle Certified Master DBA
http://skillbuilders.com

--update: sorry, I forgot to do the moderator bit:

Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

[Updated on: Wed, 21 August 2013 10:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to create database [message #593886 is a reply to message #593884] Wed, 21 August 2013 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sridharsr
John,
What you are saying is to skip the db creation during installation and create it manually. Is this right?

Sridhar Subba Rao
Re: Unable to create database [message #593887 is a reply to message #593886] Wed, 21 August 2013 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I said, use DBCA to generate scripts, inspect them, and run them one by one.
Re: Unable to create database [message #593890 is a reply to message #593887] Wed, 21 August 2013 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sridharsr
John,

I generated the scripts using DBCA.

When I ran the following from command prompt

set ORACLE_SID=orcl

oradim -new -sid ORCL -startmode manual -spfile
Enter password for Oracle service user: <PASSWORD IS ENTERED>
DIM-00019: create service error
O/S-Error: (OS 87) The parameter is incorrect.

The service (OracleServiceORCL) is created when checked in the list of services.

Sridhar Subba Rao
Re: Unable to create database [message #593896 is a reply to message #593890] Wed, 21 August 2013 13:15 Go to previous message
John Watson
So, service created: no problem. As you become more familiar with working with these incredibly complicated software products that consist of millions of miles of code, you will appreciate that things don't always run in exactly the way the developers expected. People who work with them want to have repeatable routines. If you get consistent behaviour, cool. Create and drop a few more databases, and see what happens in your environment.
--
John Watson
Oracle Certified Master DBA
http://skillbuilders.com
Previous Topic: change Character set for oracle 8i databases
Next Topic: error in identifying control file, check alert log for more info
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:05:52 CDT 2024