Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file (Oracle 11g XE)
Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643308] Sun, 04 October 2015 02:24 Go to next message
Eric Langager
Hi.

I am trying to start my Oracle database and continue to get the following errors:

ORA-01261: Parameter db_recovery_file_dest destination string cannot be translated
ORA-01263: Name given for file destination directory is invalid
OSD-04018: Unable to access the specified directory or device.
O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

I cannot understand this, because the archived redo log files are where they are supposed to be. But I notice that the backup I did last night (see log below) does not appear to be anywhere in sight. So I am wondering if there is a problem with the backup that affected archiving.

Since my database is for personal data and not always on, I could get by without archiving. But the problem is that I cannot turn off archiving without starting the database and the database won't start.

Any ideas?

Recovery Manager: Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on Sat Oct 3 22:15:54 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Windows NT Version V6.1 Service Pack 1
CPU : 2 - type 586, 2 Physical Cores
Process Affinity : 0x0x00000000
Memory (Avail/Total): Ph:1753M/3062M, Ph+PgF:4079M/6122M, VA:1940M/2047M
Starting with debugging turned off

connected to target database: XE (DBID=2729942492)

RMAN> set echo on;
2> sql 'alter system archive log current';
3>
echo set on

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
sql statement: alter system archive log current

Recovery Manager complete.

Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643309 is a reply to message #643308] Sun, 04 October 2015 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

show parameter db_recovery_file_dest

Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643311 is a reply to message #643309] Sun, 04 October 2015 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
Thanks, that did it. I could not open Oracle to execute the command, but I opened the SP file in notepad and found it. Here is what happened: I had moved the recovery area to dropbox to be sure I had backup. I had changed everything over, but there is still part of the process that looks for the old destination so I had to create a folder called "Dropbox" in the old location, and a folder inside that one called "Archive." Apparently, Oracle is still using that area for the backup, even though I have moved the archive files. Thanks again.
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643312 is a reply to message #643311] Sun, 04 October 2015 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Eric Langager wrote on Sun, 04 October 2015 03:30
Thanks, that did it. I could not open Oracle to execute the command, but I opened the SP file in notepad and found it.

I hope you didn't try to modify and save it that way. the spfile is a binary file. editing in with a text editor will corrupt it.

Quote:
Here is what happened: I had moved the recovery area to dropbox to be sure I had backup.

What is 'dropbox'?
You don't make a backup of ANYTHING by MOVING it, you make a backup by COPYING.

Quote:
I had changed everything over,

What is "everything"?

Quote:
but there is still part of the process that looks for the old destination so I had to create a folder called "Dropbox" in the old location, and a folder inside that one called "Archive." Apparently, Oracle is still using that area for the backup, even though I have moved the archive files. Thanks again.

When you move things around at the OS level, oracle has no way of knowing what you've done.

CM: fixed quote tags

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2015 02:41] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643314 is a reply to message #643312] Sun, 04 October 2015 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
When I said "Change everything over," I was referring to exactly what you are talking about i.e., telling Oracle where I put the files. Dropbox is a free service (www.dropbox.com) that, when installed, puts a dropbox folder on your hard drive. Anything you put in that folder is automatically backed up online, and also synchronized with the dropbox folder on your other computer (if you have one). Also, anything placed in the Public folder in Dropbox is automatically given an Internet link. So if you move anything into Dropbox it will be backed up. Sorry, I didn't clarify that.

You are right about the sp file. It is safe to view the sp file if the following two conditions prevail:

1. Oracle is shut down.
2. You absolutely do not make any changes to the file.

When I was teaching Oracle, I would actually delete the sp file (Oracle9i) and show my hstudents how to edit the init.ora file. But since I am not teaching Oracle anymore, I don't do that. I do everything dynamically and leave the sp file alone. But this is one situation where it is handy to be able to view the contents of the file, because there is no other way to get those parameter values if you cannot start Oracle to execute the command. It's my own carelessness, I know, but it was information I had to have to fix the problem.
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643332 is a reply to message #643314] Mon, 05 October 2015 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
But this is one situation where it is handy to be able to view the contents of the file, because there is no other way to get those parameter values if you cannot start Oracle to execute the command.
If you want to investigate the contents of your spfile without attempting to start the instance, the correct approach is to geneate a pfile from it:
C:\Users\john>
C:\Users\john>sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Mon Oct 5 12:07:43 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

orclz> create pfile='c:\tmp\initorclz.ora' from spfile;

File created.

orclz>
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643357 is a reply to message #643332] Tue, 06 October 2015 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
Thanks for that information, John. Somehow I had it in my mind that you couldn't do that from an idle instance. To be honest, I don't know if I have ever tried it from an idle instance, but I just did it now and it works. That's really good to know, because you're right, creating a pfile is much better, and it's a good idea to do that anyway, because then if the spfile should become corrected you could use a pfile with the correct parameters to start your database.

====================================================================
SQL> shutdown
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> connect / as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> create pfile from spfile;
ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
Process ID: 0
Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0

File created.

SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 535662592 bytes
Fixed Size 1384760 bytes
Variable Size 339742408 bytes
Database Buffers 188743680 bytes
Redo Buffers 5791744 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL>
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643358 is a reply to message #643357] Tue, 06 October 2015 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
I just noticed there is another file called "SPFILE2INIT.ORA" that can also be used to get the information quickly. I have no idea what that file is for, because Oracle9i didn't have that. But it is easy to open and check the parameters.
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #643359 is a reply to message #643358] Tue, 06 October 2015 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It's home made, most likely created using the command John gave, it is not Oracle standard.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 November 2015 00:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #644575 is a reply to message #643314] Mon, 09 November 2015 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halim

Eric Langager wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 01:46
because there is no other way to get those parameter values if you cannot start Oracle to execute the command. It's my own carelessness, I know, but it was information I had to have to fix the problem.

You can also get those parameters from alert_log file. (Just another option).

Thanks
Halim
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #644878 is a reply to message #644575] Thu, 19 November 2015 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
Thanks, Halim. You know, I had forgotten all about the alert.log. I really haven't thought much about it since I am no longer doing Oracle training...Under Oracle9i I used to rename it once in awhile to keep it from getting to big. But I understand that in Oracle 11g it is a .xml file. Can you tell me where it is located? It's not that critical because I am just using the database for my own data, but I should at least take a look at it. I have the XE version. Thanks for your help.
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #644879 is a reply to message #644878] Thu, 19 November 2015 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
There is an XML version but the original text version is located here:
C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\rdbms\xe\xe\trace\alert_xe.log

The XML version:
C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\rdbms\xe\xe\alert\log.xml

Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #644880 is a reply to message #644879] Thu, 19 November 2015 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
Thanks. Yes, I found it. That xml version confused me, but the actual one is a log file just like before. Appreciate your help.
Re: Cannot start Oracle -- unable to find file [message #644882 is a reply to message #644880] Thu, 19 November 2015 05:07 Go to previous message
gazzag
The XML version can be queried via the database. More info here.
Previous Topic: Oracle 10g upgrade to 11g with asm non rac
Next Topic: How we can check all DB Link connections.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:41:36 CDT 2024