Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » later patchset is not updated (11.2.0.4)
later patchset is not updated [message #632861] Fri, 06 February 2015 05:48 Go to next message
bvo65
Hello,

I have been applied PSUOct2014 on the RAC server. The patchset applied in the lsinventory succeed but didn't update in the dba_registry_history, sys.registry_history at all. I ran "catbundle cpu apply" couple times and PSUOct2014 was not updated. Open ticket with Oracle but support engineer either take 2-3 days to help me resolve the problem how to apply PSUOct 2014 in DB_HOME (I was succeed applied in GRID_HOME but not DB_HOME), now he didn't reply to help me why the patchset was not updated in registry history.

Any help would be appreciated.

BN
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632862 is a reply to message #632861] Fri, 06 February 2015 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Why not apply the January PSU instead?
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632879 is a reply to message #632862] Fri, 06 February 2015 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bvo65
well due to the error I have from alert log, I need to apply Oct PSU first... (beside, I need to follow the order from the high manager to patch this b4 apply Jan GI Patch) but this servers set up kinda weird... I just took the job over from the previous and here is poor document. Patched opatch auto didn't work at all and crashed the server most of the time, when I could applied patchset on grid_home, it didn't copy to db_home....and took me 3 wks to make this patchset applied on db_home with Oracle help but he couldn't tell me why it didn't update in registry_history.
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632880 is a reply to message #632879] Fri, 06 February 2015 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/632291/#msg_632291

You should post follow up status on your previous thread.
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632881 is a reply to message #632880] Fri, 06 February 2015 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bvo65
that previous thread already resolved... This and that are two different issue, why do I need to follow up the other thread?

thanks,

BN
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632884 is a reply to message #632881] Fri, 06 February 2015 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
bvo65 wrote on Fri, 06 February 2015 07:58
that previous thread already resolved... This and that are two different issue, why do I need to follow up the other thread?

thanks,

BN

You should post follow up so others can benefit from your problem resolution.
You should post follow up because Posting Guidelines say you should be a Good Neighbor.
You should post follow up to thank those who assisted you in resolving your issue.

Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632887 is a reply to message #632879] Fri, 06 February 2015 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
well due to the error I have from alert log, I need to apply Oct PSU first.
I have never seen any error that would suggest that you need to apply one PSU before another. They are cumulative. That's the whole point.
Quote:
Patched opatch auto didn't work at all and crashed the server most of the time,
You need to provide much more information. If this is indicative of what you told Oracle Support, I'm not surprised that they could not help.
Quote:
this servers set up kinda weird
what is "weird" about it?

In general, I think that Oracle's PSU programme is pretty good. If you know what you are doing, follow all the instructions, take cognizance of any warnings, and do not try to be clever, everything works. I have applied any number PSUs/CPUs/SPUs to client databases that I have never seen before, on various operating systems. If you follow the documented processes, you will not have problems.
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632888 is a reply to message #632887] Fri, 06 February 2015 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bvo65
a lot of things I have been fixed for a month ... according to the alert log, ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kkzuasid], [2], [0], [1], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [] had been existed for 5-6 mos (that's why need to apply Oct GI Patchset), included the small errors to caused the performance.

password for sys had two different passwords, one for rman and one for internal database but none of them could log in if you don't use '/ as sysdba'

This is RAC and both GI_Home and DB_Home are not shared and when you run opatch apply (following the READMe), server was crashed. SA needs to figure out how to and made a lot of change before I can run 'opatch auto'. Once opatch auto rans, it didn't apply on the DB_home. And once it applied, the patchset was not updated on the registry history... If this server is not weird, what would you called it? Even SA complained the Oracle set up too... luckily, I'm not the one to installed Oracle here...

BN
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632889 is a reply to message #632888] Fri, 06 February 2015 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
There are so many misunderstandings here. Just to pick up two of them:

You do not need to apply the Oct PSU before you apply the Jan PSU. I have already mentioned that, and if you think that you know better, well, goodbye.

SYS does not have two different passwords. He has one password, which apparently you do not know.

So far there is no evidence of anything "weird", and all I can suggest is that you apply the latest PSU, following all the instructions.

Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632890 is a reply to message #632888] Fri, 06 February 2015 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bvo65
Liked I said, someone here download the PSU not me. He needs to put on the high side for me to apply and all I do is followed his order to apply Oct first. I do know that I can skip Oct and go straight to Jan2015, but where the patchset download on high side for me? I can download on the lower side and due to the Gov't policy, moving from one to others a lot of security information get involved and approval.

Here, SYS did have two different passwords. One run RMAN script pull out from another server, and another to log on TOAD and yes, which apparently I do not know because they don't have any documents. No one knows anything and password expired, needed to change it. I needed to extend the profile to another 14 days to find the way how to alter this sys w/o mess up the RMAN script. Now, sys has only one password.

Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632891 is a reply to message #632890] Fri, 06 February 2015 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I give up. You have not only known unknowns, but also unknown unknowns. Perhaps someone else can help.
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632892 is a reply to message #632891] Fri, 06 February 2015 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
+1
Re: later patchset is not updated [message #632904 is a reply to message #632890] Fri, 06 February 2015 15:13 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/196222/632882/#msg_632882

Due to your policy we cannot put information from our side to yours. Twisted Evil

Previous Topic: While installing the Database, i am getting error "ORA-24324: service handle not initialized&qu
Next Topic: invalid username/password; logon denied
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:49:35 CDT 2024