Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Canot install Grid Infrastructure (split from http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/188828/148813/
Canot install Grid Infrastructure (split from http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/188828/148813/ [message #591972] Thu, 01 August 2013 20:57 Go to next message
Robs58
Okay, I followed the advice given - copied the burned DVD files to a location on disk. I then invoked the runInstaller script and the OUI GUI
appeared and so I began the installation...

The installation was going fine until I came to the point where I was asked to create the ASM disk group. There were no disk paths listed and when I clicked on "Change Discovery Path", I did not know what to enter to give it a disk discovery path. So I am unable to continue the Grid installation until I can figure that one out... I am thinking that there was most likely some "prep work" that probably should have happened BEFORE I attempted the grid installation, but I have been unable to find out what that prep work is and how to do it.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 August 2013 04:15] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #591995 is a reply to message #591972] Fri, 02 August 2013 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
I would recommend that you get to grips with installing and configuring an Oracle database on a conventional file-system before you start to complicate things with ASM. With all due respect, ASM is quite an advanced topic for someone who was trying to change file permissions on a read-only (DVD) file system.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #592028 is a reply to message #591995] Fri, 02 August 2013 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robs58
gazzag,

I appreciate the tip aboout installing the database FIRST before going on to something more advanced, such as installing the GI. As you can see, I am in the middle of a grueling learning process; I have taken the first three oracle classes, Intro to SQLPlus, as well as DBA 1 and 2. The classes recommend installing the GI first before installing the RDBMS because of all the extra manual things you have to do if you try to do it the other way around. Having said that, I know that I have to go through the process (and pain!) of having to learn all of this and if that is what I have to do in order to "get to the other side"; then so be it...in the mean time, I would like to get the GI installed and then the RDBMS. Undboubtedly, there are other newbies in this forum lurking this thread who would like to have a similar learning experience. So any tips, reference, advise, etc. you are willing to share about installing the GI is greatly appreciated by others as well as myslef. Thanks in advance!

Rob
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #592158 is a reply to message #592028] Mon, 05 August 2013 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Rob,

Again, the Grid Interface doesn't need ASM. My point was that you're needlessly over-complicating things by installing ASM too.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #592162 is a reply to message #591972] Mon, 05 August 2013 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Robs58 wrote on Fri, 02 August 2013 02:57
Okay, I followed the advice given - copied the burned DVD files to a location on disk. I then invoked the runInstaller script and the OUI GUI
appeared and so I began the installation...

The installation was going fine until I came to the point where I was asked to create the ASM disk group. There were no disk paths listed and when I clicked on "Change Discovery Path", I did not know what to enter to give it a disk discovery path. So I am unable to continue the Grid installation until I can figure that one out... I am thinking that there was most likely some "prep work" that probably should have happened BEFORE I attempted the grid installation, but I have been unable to find out what that prep work is and how to do it.
I think that you are trying to the exercise for 2-1 of Oracle Uni course D50102gc20, and are stuck on step 4? That is because you have not defined any ASM disks. This step is done for you, in advance, in the Oracle Uni classrooms. Your teacher should have made this clear.

Creating ASM devices is not covered in the introductory curriculum (the OCP stuff) that you have attended, it is included in D59999gc30, "Manage Clusterware and ASM". Or of course in third party courses, such as the ones I run,
RAC&GI, by Oracle Certified Master DBA John Watson

In the meantime, just skip all the GI stuff, and proceed to practice 2-2.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #592233 is a reply to message #592162] Mon, 05 August 2013 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robs58
John,

Thanks for responding... Yes, my efforts to get GI installed and ASM working were done as an attempt on my part to set up a home PC setup with 11G R2 AND the Grid infrastructure installed so that I could complete the labs and gain an understanding of GI and ASM so that I can pass the cert tests... So for now, at least, it looks as though I will have to live without GI/ASM and continue my studies without it...

John, is it my correct understanding that there will be GI/ASM related questions on the cert tests? And if so, how can I prepare for these questions? Do I need to be able to have "hands on" experience to gain enough understanding to answer ASM/GI questions, or can I simply get by with reading information on the subject? Please advise...and thanks in advance!

Rob S.
Re: Am Unable To Execute the runInstaller Script To Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure [message #592234 is a reply to message #592158] Mon, 05 August 2013 22:06 Go to previous message
Robs58
gazzag wrote on Mon, 05 August 2013 03:39
Rob,

Again, the Grid Interface doesn't need ASM. My point was that you're needlessly over-complicating things by installing ASM too.

gazzag,

My apologies - I should have explained in the very beginning that I was doing all of this in an effort to put together a
a home PC for the purpose of being able to complete my lab exercises so as to gain a deep enough practical "hand ons"
understanding of GI/ASM in order to be able to pass that part of the cert tests...

Rob S.
Previous Topic: oracle database 12.1.0.1.0 no emctl?
Next Topic: Oracle Server Standard Edition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:14:44 CDT 2024